BIOGRAPHY OF SENATOR LARRY PRESSLER
Attorney at Law
Admitted to the U.S. Supreme Court Bar
[Member US Senate (R-SD), 1979-1997]
[Member US House (R-SD), 1975-1979]
- Will go on a book tour in September 2017 to Mumbai, Delhi, and Chennai to promote Neighbours in Arms: An American Senator’s Quest for Disarmament in a Nuclear Subcontinent. Will also present at the Jaipur Literary Festival in Boulder, Colorado, as well as the Miami Book Fair in Miami, Florida.
- Joined the board of advisors for Rising Star Outreach, a charity committed to helping leprosy-affected individuals and children.
- Released Neighbours in Arms: An American Senator’s Quest for Disarmament in a Nuclear Subcontinent.
- Spoke in Warsaw, Poland (February 2017) at the International Security Forum and lectured at the Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland.
- Debated at the Oxford Union Debate in Oxford, England, December 2016.
- Gave speeches at the 2016 Infosys International Corporate Conference in Bangalore, India in February, 2016 and lectured at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah in March, 2016.
- Appointed January 8, 2014 (presently serving) to Military Compensation and Retirement Modernization Commission. Access the final report by going to www.mcrmc.gov
- Pressler Group LLC – founder, Washington D.C. and New York. 2002-present
- U.S. Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad – Commissioner. Appointed by President Barack Obama on November 10, 2009. Resigned January 7, 2014
- Board of Advisors, Issue One, since March 25, 2015.
- Founder’s Circle Member, The Centrist Project, since December 19, 2014. Go to http://www.centristproject.org
- Guest Lecturer, University of Sioux Falls, Dakota Wesleyan University’s McGovern Center
- Distinguished Visiting Faculty at Sciences Po University, Paris, France - August 27-December 1, 2012– Taught and graded papers of French graduate students on foreign policy issues drawn from the 2012 U.S. elections
- Fulbright Professor at various European and Asian Universities
- Board, Jericho Homeless Veterans Projects in Harlem and the Bronx. https://www.jerichoproject.org/programs-services/veterans-initiative/
- Distinguished Guest Lecturer at Georgetown University Law School and Catholic University
- Board of Advisors, Baruch School of Public Administration, City University of New York
- Keynote Speaker, Wyoming Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting in Sheraton, Wyoming on 02/29/2012, "Can we live with Simpson-Bowles?"
- Currently Finalist for Additional Fulbright Professor Grant, 2015
- South Dakota Farmers Union Foundation Board http://sdfufoundation.org
- Special Advisor, India Globalization Capital http://www.igcinc.us
- Senior Advisor, A-1Technology Inc. / Mobile Programming LLC
- O'Connor, Hannon Law Firm - Senior Partner. Washington, D.C. 1997-2002.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Philadelphia Stock Exchange until it was purchased by the NASDAQ
- Member of the Board of Directors of Infosys Technologies, Ltd. http://www.infosys.com of Bangalore, India for six years from 2000 until reaching the mandatory retirement age of 65 in 2006. Since then he has been a speaker at the Infosys Annual Strategic Planning Meeting in Bangalore and Mysore, India
- Born March 29, 1942, Humboldt, South Dakota – Graduated Humboldt High School 1960
- Harvard Law School- Juris Doctor, 1971
- Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government- Masters in Public Administration, 1966
- Oxford University, Oxford, England – Oxford Diploma in Public and Social Administration, Rhodes Scholar, 1964
- University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD – B.A. Government, 1964; President of Student Body; Phi Beta Kappa
- Lieutenant, U.S. Army: 1966-1968
- Served two tours of combat duty in Vietnam
- Awarded the following Vietnam Service Medals: Bronze Star Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Meritorious Unit Commendation with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with 4 Bronze Service Stars, Vietnam Campaign Ribbon with Device (1960), Overseas Svc Bars (2), and the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross w/Palm Unit Citation Badge
- Foreign Service Officer (FSR): 1971-1974
- Legal Advisor's Office, Washington, D.C. and Geneva, Switzerland
- Member of United States Congress (R-SD): 1975-1997
- Member, US House of Representatives: 1975-1979
- Committee on Education and Labor (1975-1979)
- Committee on Science and Technology (1975-1977)
- Committee on Small Business (1977-1979)
- Member, US Senate: 1979-1997
- Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation (1979–1997)
- Chairman of Full Committee (1995–1997)
- Chairman of Subcommittee on Telecommunications (1995–1997)
- Committee on Finance (1995–1997)
- Committee on Foreign Relations (1981–1995)
- Chairman of European Subcommittee and Chairman of the Arms Control Subcommittee
- Committee on Small Business (1979–1997)
- Ranking Member of Full Committee (1993–1995)
- Committee on Environment and Public Works (1979–81, 1983–85)
- Committee on Banking (1991–1993)
- Committee on Judiciary (1993–1995)
- Committee on Budget (1979–1981)
HIGHLIGHTS OF CONGRESSIONAL ACTIVITY:
- Authored/passed several South Dakota issues/projects regarding senior citizens, agriculture, water, transportation, economic issues, telecommunications, health and other matters affecting South Dakota.
- Authored/passed the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
- Authored/passed the Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act of 1996
- Authored/passed the Interstate Commerce Commission Termination Act of 1995
- Authored/passed significant nuclear non-proliferation legislation (Pressler Amendment)
- Authored/passed legislation creating independent U.N. Inspector General office
- Authored/passed numerous pieces of legislation regarding international trade
- Authored/passed the Pressler Amendment requiring sanctions on Pakistan for using U.S. in terrorist and nuclear activities
- Authored two books: U.S. Senators from the Prairie, 1982; Star Wars: The Strategic Defense Initiative Debates in Congress, 1986
- Served as Congressional Delegate to the United Nations on two occasions
- Co-founding member of the Senate Internet Caucus and Tourism Caucus
- Served on the Boards of Visitors of the U.S. Military Academy and the Air Force Academy
ACADEMIC HISTORY: 1996-PRESENT:
- Finalist for Additional Fulbright Professor Grant, January/February 2014
- Sciences Po University, Paris, France – Distinguished Visiting Faculty, August-December 2012
- University of Bologna, Italy –Visiting Fulbright Professor, January-May 2009.
- Lectured to doctoral candidates at the Department of Politics and History on the foreign policy decisions of the U.S. President/Congress during the last ten presidencies
- Lectured as a Fulbright Professor at the University of Cagliari in Sardinia and at the University of Naples—March 2009.
- Lectured at Bar-Ilan University, Tel Aviv, on "President Obama's Foreign Policy: Engagement and Its Limits". Israel – March 2009
- Lectured to the Society of Individualists at the School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS). Bologna, Italy—2009.
- Lectured to various Hungarian Universities at the request of the Hungarian Fulbright Commission, 2009.
- Thomas Hawkins Johnson Visiting Scholar, U.S. Military Academy, West Point. Fall 2006.
- Lectured on international relations, presidential studies and government classes at West Point.
- Conducted a seminar of junior and senior West Point cadets applying for Rhodes, Marshall, Fulbright, Truman, Gates, Rotary, Mitchell (to Ireland), Hertz, and other graduate fellowships.
- Additional teaching/lectures at the following universities: The Harvard Law School; Harvard Kennedy School of Government; Oxford University (England); University of California in Los Angeles (UCLA); Georgetown University Law School; The George Washington University; The U.S. Naval Academy; The Oglala Sioux SinteGleska University; University of South Dakota; Creighton; Catholic University, St. Johns University, New York, N.Y. and the St. John's University Graduate School of Business (Rome, Italy); and Adjunct Professor at City University of New York (CUNY, Baruch College (New York), St. John's University (Rome, Italy); The Indian National School of Law (Bangalore, India); Fudan University (China); Shanghai International Studies University (China); TongJi University (China); Zhongshan University (China); GuangDong University of Foreign Studies (China); and JiNan University (China), Dakota Wesleyan University’s McGovern Center.
- Knight Commander's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany - The President of Germany bestowed on Senator Pressler the German government's highest honor awarded a non-German citizen in a ceremony at the German Embassy and the U.S. Capitol. The award was given for Senator Pressler's work on European/German aviation and trade agreements. Senator Pressler has also been given high recognition by the governments of Greece, the Philippines, and England for his public service.
- Senator Pressler spoke in five Bosnia-Herzegovina cities on how U.S. Congressional oversight committees work in March, 2008.
- Keynote Speaker -US Embassy in Budapest, Hungary: Conference on the Upcoming US Election, October 14, 2008.
- Keynote Speaker at the Infosys Technologies Ltd. Annual Strategy meeting in Bangalore/Mysore, India. January 7-9, 2009.
- Keynote Speaker at the Future of Financial Markets Conference in Goa, India. January 2010.
Married to Harriet, with one daughter (Laura) and four grandchildren. Larry and Harriet currently reside in both Washington, D.C. and in southwest Sioux Falls, with a permanent farm-home in Larry's hometown of Humboldt, South Dakota.